• follow us in feedly

Nigerian Army kills fleeing Boko Haram members in Yobe

By Agency Report,

The Nigerian Army has said that its troops Friday killed several Boko Haram terrorists at on Friday Goniri community in Gubio Local Government Area of Yobe.

In a statement, Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, 27 Task Force Brigade, Nureni Alimi, stated that the insurgents escaped their enclaves in Sambisa Forest and tried to infiltrate the community.

Alimi disclosed that the troops engaged and killed many insurgents and wounded several others in the attack, while high calibre ammunition was recovered from the fleeing terrorists.

He noted that the insurgents fled their enclaves in view of the ongoing clearance operation under Operation DEEDP PUNCH II, and attempted to infiltrate the community.

“Some desperate Boko Haram terrorists attempting to escape the theatre through one of the formidable blocking positions in Goniri, Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State, had been severely dealt with on Friday, 9th February, 2018.

“The troops destroyed their Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) borne-vehicle, neutralised quite a number of them and wounded several others.

‘‘The troops recovered one Anti-aircraft Gun with long belt of ammunitions, one AK-47 Rifle and other items”.

Alimi expressed regret that preliminary investigations indicated that some unscrupulous elements in the society provided information to the insurgents on troops’ movement in the area.

He revealed that the insurgents utilised the information and made concerted attempt to infiltrate the community, adding that the gallant troops repelled the attack and crushed them.

Alimi disclosed that two soldiers who sustained injuries in the attack were currently receiving treatment in the Brigade Field Ambulance.

Nigeria Judo Federation vows to revive Judo

By Emmanuel Onminyi,

In  a bid to to develop the sport, President of Nigeria Judo Federation, NJF, Prince Timothy Nsirim, said the current board of the federation has put plans in place to effectively manage and reorganize the sport in line with international best practices.

According to Nsirim, “the last forty-five years have not been good for Judo, but we have promised Nigerians that Judo will take a new turn in the coming years. The current board will reorganize the sport in line with the international best practice module.”

He, however, disclosed that the federation has concluded arrangements to host a National Open Judo Championship billed for the Samuel Ogbemudia stadium, Benin city, Edo State, from the 13th of December 2017, with bouts in the senior, junior and cadet categories for both males and females.

Nsirim explained that the championship, named after Loveth Howell, a former national champion, will also serve as a national ranking event for both judokas and referees.
On Nigeria’s recent gold medal in the 70kg female category, bagged by Winnie Gofit of the Nigeria Army, at a recent African Judo Invitational, Nsirim described Gofit as the shining light of Nigerian Judo.

He stated, “Gofit has been consistent in the last two years or thereabout and she has done us proud every time she steps on the mat. She is the shining light of Nigerian Judo and we hope she will be an inspiration to the younger generation of judokas.”

Army to build Rivers State special task forces

By NewsDesk

The Nigerian Army is planning to have a special task force by activate its 6 Division, in Port Harcourt with the inauguration of special task forces and operational outfits.

It was gathered that the special operational outfits, which the army planned to set up are Anti-Bunkering Squad; Anti-Kidnapping Squad; the Divisional Strike Force and Operation Check-mate.

The Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 6 division, Col. Aminu Iliyasu, who disclosed the development in a statement in Port Harcourt on Tuesday,solicited for cooperation and understanding of residents and commuters particularly in Port Harcourt, as troops would traverse some major streets in Port Harcourt metropolis.

“We are also calling on residents not to panic at the sighting of increased military and para-military presence within the city,”Iliyasu said.

The deputy director said that dignitaries to attend the occasion include; the Minister, Defence, retired Brig. Gen. Mansur Dan-Ali and Governors of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers.

He stated others members of the National and State Assemblies, traditional rulers and senior military and para-military officers, both serving and retired, among others, have been invited for the event, adding that the event would hold from July 13 to July 15.

Nigeria Army builds locally made Patrol Vehicles

By NewsDesk

The Nigerian Army has built and install locally fabricated Infantry Patrol Vehicles (IPV) to strengthen troops’ operations nationwide to combat terrorism ravaging the Northeast and other parts of the country.

The Minister, Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali,  inaugurated the vehicles and also performed the ground-breaking ceremony for a new army cantonment known as Muhammadu Buhari Cantonment at Giri, on the Airport Road in Abuja on Monday.

The Chief of Army Staff, (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, said the vehicles were locally designed and fabricated by personnel of the Nigerian army after extensive research.

According to Buratai, the platform would further serve as force motivation as efforts were being stepped up to clear remnants of Boko Haram terrorists in the North-East.

He explained that the vehicles had already been moved to the North-East, adding that the vehicles were one of the platforms used for fire power demonstration during the 2017 Nigerian Army Small Arms Championship (NASAC) earlier held at the Sambisa forest in Borno.

Buratai further added that the vehicles could be used for long range battles as General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) and other caliber of weapons could be mounted on them.

“The inauguration of the patrol vehicles is part of the overall strategy toward the establishment of a military industrial complex which is expected to be a major employer of labour when it takes off,’’ he said.

Dan-Ali, said that Nigeria army was anchored on three pillars adding that capacity building, reorganization and troops welfare, were the three pillars of the army transformation.

According to Dan-Ali, the three concepts were embarked upon two years ago but that its implementation had not been easy.

The Minister said that the cantonment at Giri would provide the appropriate working and living accommodation for officers and soldiers in the FCT.

Boko Haram denies Nigeria army starvation claims, releases new video

By Newsdesk

Following recent claimed by Nigeria Army that Boko Haram insurgents’ fighters are dying of hunger, faction of the militant group led by Abubakar Shekau released a video on Tuesday denying report.

The military had last week said it was “ransacking” territory it said it had recaptured from Boko Haram in the hunt for Shekau, who leads one of two main branches of the jihadist group and might be hiding in the Sambisa forest.

Large parts of northeast Nigeria, particularly in Borno state, remain under threat from Boko Haram as suicide bombings and gun attacks have increased in the region since end of the rainy season in 2016.

“There is no food that we lack in this forest of Sambisa. It is not true that we have run out of food supply and that we are being killed by hunger,” said an unidentified man with a rifle, flanked by others carrying guns, in the five-minute video.

Nigeria’s army said in December that it had pushed Boko Haram out of the Sambisa forest, a vast former colonial game reserve that was the group’s stronghold, in an operation to reclaim territory lost to the Islamist insurgency since 2009.

Boko Haram split last year, with one faction led by Shekau operating from the forest and the other, allied to Islamic State and led by Abu Musab al-Barnawi, based in the Lake Chad region.

“We urge all members to be one hundred percent loyal to him [Shekau]. It is not true that you killed Shekau,” he said, referring to previous claims by the Nigerian military that he had been fatally wounded.

Shekau did not appear in the video, which was circulated on social media on Tuesday.

Boko Haram has killed more than 15,000 people and forced more than two million to flee their homes during its insurgency aimed at creating an Islamic state governed by a strict interpretation of sharia law in Africa’s most populous nation.

Monarch hands over three Boko Haram suspects to military

By Newsdesk

The Nigerian Army has disclosed that it had taken into custody three suspected Boko Haram terrorists handed over to it by Zurmi Emirate Council in Zamfara.

The Commanding Officer, 223 Light Tank Batallion of Tactical Operation Unit, Gusau, Col. Abdullahi Adamu, said the suspects were apprehended by local vigilante in the area.

Adamu, who displayed the arms recovered from the suspects, said the three suspects had been moved to 1 Division, Nigerian Army Kaduna for interrogation.

He said the arms recovered were AK 47 riffles, over 600 ammunitions, illicit drugs, charms and other belongings.

“Based on our preliminary investigation, we discovered that the suspects may be connected to the fleeing Boko Haram members who were recently disbanded by the military from Sambisa forest of Borno state.” Adamu said.

He commended the emirate council and local vigilantes for their efforts in arresting criminal elements in the state.

The Emir of Zurmi, Abubakar Atiku said arrest of the suspected Boko haram members was part of directive to district heads of the emirate, to monitor and report to security agencies any new face or suspicious movement in their respective communities.

Atiku said information on the suspects was first forwarded by District Head of Mashema about five days ago, when he reported that 11 suspicious persons were seen hiding in the bushes.

The monarch therefore urged the Army and other security agencies to track the remaining suspects and ensure they face justice.

 

 

Troops kill militants in Bayelsa

By Aina Amune

The Joint Task Force (JTF), under Operation Delta Safe (ODS), saddled with responsibility of safeguarding Niger Delta region have killed two suspected notorious militants in creeks of Bayelsa State.

It was gathered that they were shot dead when the troops raided and destroyed their camp at Obama flow station in Nembe local government area of the state.

In a statement issued by Coordinator, Joint Media Campaign Centre (JMCC), Lt. Col. Olaolu Daudu, said troops of Sector 2 carried out the raid following a tip-off by locals.

Daudu  identified one of the suspects as a notorious criminal popularly known as Labista, who was on wanted list of security agencies, was said to be behind high profile kidnapping, killing of security personnel in ambush, piracy, armed robbery and other criminal activities.

He said: “Labista” and his cohort dived into the river in a bid to escape while the raid was ongoing and were engaged by troops. At the end of the operation the bodies of two notorious criminals were found floating on water.

“They were recovered and deposited at government morgue. Items recovered are two single barrel guns, cutlass and four speed boats.”

He also quoted the Commander, ODS, Rear Admiral Apochi Suleiman, as assuring people of the region of their safety and security.

Suleiman also encouraged people not to condone any form of sabotage, vandalism or acts of criminality because of their negative effects on the environment and economy.

 

PDP demands independent investigation of IDP camp’s accidental bombing

By Newsdesk

The Senator Ahmed Makarfi-led faction of Peoples Democracy Party (PDP), has called for independent investigation into accidental bombing of Rann Internally Displaced Peoples (IDP) Camp in Kala-Balge Local Government Area of Borno State.

The party made the call in a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Dayo Adeyeye on Thursday in Abuja.

Adeyeye said the PDP was shocked and dismayed at the news of the accidental bombing of the IDPs Camp by Nigerian Air force jet, on Tuesday, January 17.

He said the investigation would help to unravel mystery behind the incident, which led to death of over 52 persons and injured more than 120 others in the camp.

“This is totally unacceptable and we demand a thorough and independent investigation into the matter to unravel the mystery behind the accident.

“The excuse by the Nigerian military that the camp was mistaken to be a gathering of Boko Haram members is a show of unprofessionalism and lack of intelligence regarding operations of such magnitude.

“We are very worried that the military after several successes against the sect in recent times will display such provocative conduct capable of rubbing-off on its past achievements as a professional organisation,” he said.

Adeyeye said that the PDP was of the opinion that the accidental bombing of the IDP camp was a reaction to false alarm and that the military was misled by informant to cause killings of those innocent Nigerians.

“Consequently, Nigerian military must talk less on its modus operandi and also carry out sufficient intelligence gathering in order to avoid such costly mistakes in the future.

“While we appreciate that Nigerians are being informed of the operations of the military, it is
very important to conceal some vital and critical security information to avoid opponents using such information to infiltrate their ranks.” He said.

Adeyeye added that the military must excuse itself from any form of propaganda and deceit to score cheap political points.

The party’s scribe urged the military to concentrate more on the job of wiping off insurgency in North-East and eliminate threat in all regions of the country.

He however condoled with President Muhammadu Buhari, Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima and families of those who lost their lives in the incident.

“It is unfortunate and regrettable as we pray their souls to rest in peace. We are equally calling on government at all levels to provide the needed support for the injured persons and pray for their speedy recovery,” he said.

Army boss cautions personnel against indiscipline

By Aina Amune

The General Officer Commanding (GOC) 82 Division, Nigerian Army, Enugu, Maj. Gen. Adamu Abubakar, has warned officers that the army would not tolerate any form of indiscipline from them, saying any soldier who felt cheated or had grievances on any issue should channel his complaint through right quarters.

Abubakar gave the warning  the warning on Wednesday while addressing soldiers of 13 Brigade, Nigerian Army, Calabar, during his familiarisation tour of the Brigade.

He also appealed to the soldiers to desist from taking laws into their hands while discharging their constitutional duties.

The GOC added that the Nigerian Army would ensure that all allowances and entitlements due to the soldiers are released to them accordingly.

“The Nigerian Army will not tolerate any form of indiscipline from any soldier; do not take the laws into your hands in the line of duty.

“I must encourage you not to engage in anything that has no military bearings. We will continue to support you by way of providing with all you need to function optimally in the area of your responsibilities.

“I enjoin you to be loyal and be dedicated to your job. As a soldier in the Nigerian Armed Forces, you must respect the constituted authority,”he said.

Abubakar told newsmen in an interview that he was on a familiarisation tour of the command whose leadership he assumed few days ago.

“I am here to see the troops myself and to also discuss with the commander with a view to knowing the formation appropriately before I can now settle down and forge ahead,’’ he said.

The Commander of 13 Brigade, Brig.-Gen. Bulama Biu, had said that his troops were physically fit and combat-ready for any operational assignment.

According to Biu, the command would continue to play its vital role in collaborating with other security agencies in the state with a view to maintaining peace and order in all corners.

 

Senate cautions NAF against accidental bombing recurrence, mourns victims

By Newsdesk
The Senate has warned Nigerian Air Force (NAF) against recurrence of accidental bombing which left over 52 people dead and several injured at Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) Camp in Rann, Borno State yesterday.
It would be recalled that the NAF was engaged in final phase of mopping up insurgents in the North-east and its fighter jets misfired and killed civilians among which were humanitarian health workers.
The Red Chamber however commiserated with families of the victims, describing the accidental bombing as obvious mistakes and unfortunate.
The senate resolution followed a Point of Order raised by Senate Leader, Senator Ahmed Lawan on the killings and urged the lawmakers to observe one minute silence in honour of the victims’ souls, which was accordingly observed.
Presiding over the session, the Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, urged the NAF and Army to apply caution and expressed hope that the sad development would not deter them from ongoing fight against terrorism.
Ekweremadu said: “On behalf of the Nigerian Senate, we send our very deep condolences to the families who lost the dear ones over the unfortunate incident. No doubt, it was obvious mistake and Mr President had also condoled the families. We also join in mourning the lost souls.
“We are also conscious of efforts of our gallant soldiers in the North-East and we believe say this is completely unintended. We only hope and pray this would not happen again.
“We urge the military especially the Air force to ensure as much as possible that this doesn’t happen again and to apply much caution in this exercise they have been called upon to do on behalf of all of us in the North-East. We do hope that this will not deter them rather continue the good work they are doing. But we need to be more careful to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.”