By NewsDesk, with Agency report
The Kenya Government has announced that it has put all demonstrations in business districts of Nairobi and other cities under ban, the action which came amid a standoff between ruling party and opposition over a repeat presidential election.
Leading to the decision was persistence clash between oppositions’ demonstrators and police which was reported to had claimed several lives whiles scores were injured.
The Internal Security Minister, Fred Matiang‘i, said that the ban was announced that it applied to central business districts of the capital, the western city of Kisumu and the coastal city of Mombasa.
Speaking after the ban declaration n Thursday, the minister disclosed that organizers of protests would be held personally liable for any damage if they choose not to yield to warning of the government.
However, Mombasa and Kisumu are strongholds of opposition support, and Odinga also has strong backing in parts of Nairobi. All three have seen repeated clashes between riot police and opposition supporters in recent weeks.
The Kenyan President, Uhuru Kenyatta and opposition leader, Raila Odinga, were due to go to polls in a repeat presidential election as scheduled on Octtober 26, after the Supreme Court nullified Kenyatta’s win in August 8 polls over procedural irregularities.
Meanwhile, against the court ruling was Odinga announcement earlier in the week, to withdrawing from the race, throwing the East African nation into political turmoil.
Opposition alliance to the Kenyan president’s river, stated that the new elections were invalid and that groups had called for demonstrations demanding electoral reforms, including replacement of some staff at election board, and new elections.
Although, promise of more protests raised fears of further clashes between Odinga’s supporters and police.
It was reported on Wednesday that the election board position was that the polls would be held and that all eight of original presidential candidates would be on the ballot, the adjustment which came after a court decision forced the board to reverse previous position that only Odinga and Kenyatta would be on the ballot.
Reports that, in August, only Kenyatta and Odinga polled more than one per cent and of the six other candidates, one has since been declared bankrupt, disqualifying him form office under Kenyan law.
Three others, Abduba Dida, Japheth Kavinga and Ekuru Aukot. told newsmen that they intended to run for seat of president.
“The political battle in this country has been between the Odingas and the Kenyattas for the longest time,” said Aukot. “Voters will be looking for a neutral person who can pacify the country.”
A Kenya rights group said this week that at least 37 people were killed in protests immediately following the Aug. 8 poll. Most were killed by police.