Belarusian tennis player, Azarenka, pulls out of US Open over family situation

By Newsdesk

Belarusian tennis player and former world number one, Victoria Azarenka, has confirmed that she would miss the US Open tournament due to an ongoing family situation.

The 28-year-old, who only returned to tennis in June after giving birth to her son, Leo, in December separated from his father in July and last week she issued a statement saying she could only play in the tournament “if I leave Leo behind”.

According to her, she’s sadly unable to compete in this year’s US Open due to her ongoing family situation that she’s working through.

“While I will dearly miss being in New York and playing in one of my favourite tournaments where I have enjoyed some of the best moments in my career, I am already looking forward to being back next year.” Azarenka said.

Earlier in August Azarenka pulled out of the Cincinnati Open because of a family matter.

The Australian Open champion in 2012 and 2013, reached the final in New York in the same two years, while she was knocked out in the fourth round at Wimbledon in 2017.

Meanwhile, Misa Eguchi, of Japan, moves into the main draw for the tournament, which starts on 28 August.

Japan’s Nishikori out of season over injury

By Newsdesk

Japanese tennis player, Kei Nishikori, has becomes latest high-ranked player to take time out from the sport after confirming on Wednesday that he would miss rest of 2017 season after tearing a tendon in his right wrist.

The 27-year-old world number nine joined fourth-ranked, Stan Wawrinka and number five, Novak Djokovic, have in recent weeks called a halt to their seasons to recover from knee and elbow injuries respectively.

Nishikori was scheduled to play at this week’s Cincinnati Masters, a warm-up event for the U.S. Open, but withdrew when he felt a sharp pain in his wrist during practice on Sunday.

“Kei hit a serve and heard a ‘pop’ in his wrist. It has become clear that Kei has a tear in one of the tendons in the right wrist.

“At this stage, we have elected not to do surgery and Kei is in a cast. After the swelling comes down in the next weeks, we will evaluate next steps. Kei will withdraw from all the 2017 tournaments and work hard to be ready for next year.” his manager said in a statement.

The Japanese reached his only grand slam final at the U.S. Open in 2014, losing to Croatia’s Marin Cilic.

Injury worries have also forced four other top-ten players – Cilic (adductor), Roger Federer (back), Andy Murray (hip) and Milos Raonic (wrist) – to miss Cincinnati.

Muguruza, Halep ease into round Cincinnati third round

By Newsdesk

Spanish tennis player, Garbine Muguruza, dispatch a Brazilian qualifier, Beatriz Haddad Maia, in straight sets 6-2 6-0 victory to reach third round of Cincinnati Open.

Second seed Simona Halep overcame an early deficit to beat American qualifier Taylor Townsend 6-4 6-1 and also reach the third round.

The world number six Muguruza, fresh off a quarter-finals loss to eventual winner Elina Svitolina at Toronto last week, needed only 65 minutes to earn the straight sets win over Haddad Maia and book her spot in the round of 16.

After trading breaks with Haddad Maia over the course of the first four games, Muguruza found another gear and went on to win the final 10 games of the match.

“I felt like a lot of games were super tight. She’s super tall, big serve with big shots. It was a strange result, because the match was pretty good.

“I feel like yesterday I was playing on the grass, and now I’m here. I’m happy to be in the third round here.” Muguruza said.

The fourth seeded Muguruza now awaits the winner of Wednesday’s clash between American 16th seed, Madison Keys and Russian Daria Kasatkina.

Romanian Halep, the 2015 Cincinnati runner-up, fell behind early but reeled off four consecutive games, including two love service holds, to clinch the opening set and remained in control the rest of the way.

Halep will next face Latvia’s Anastasija Sevastova, who earlier rallied to beat China’s Peng Shuai 3-6 6-4 6-2.

 

Switzerland tennis player, Bacsinszky, pulls out of U.S Open over injury

By Newsdesk

Switzerland tennis player, Timea Bacsinszky, has withdrawn from U.S. Open due to a lingering hand injury, the world number 24 has said.

Bacsinszky, who would also miss Connecticut Open in New Haven, was carrying a thigh injury during Wimbledon last month but said on Wednesday she had also been troubled by her hand since last year.

“Unfortunately, I was forced to pull out of New Haven and the U.S. Open. My thigh is now much better, but I still need to undertake a few exams for my hand.

“I cannot express how sad I am to announce such bad news, but my priority… is to let my body heal completely and take all the time needed in order to do so.” Bacsinszky, who reached the French Open semi-finals earlier in 2017, said in a statement.

The U.S. Open runs from August 28 to September 10 at Flushing Meadows, New York.

Sharapova gets U.S. Open wildcard entry

By Newsdesk

The U.S. Open tournament organisers disclosed that Russian tennis player, Maria Sharapova, has been granted a wildcard entry for this year’s tournament, which would be her first Grand Slam after serving her 15 months ban.

Sharapova, a five-time grand slam winner, returned from a 15-month doping ban earlier this year, with hopes of participating in French open grand slam.

But hopes of the former world number one was dashed after organisers of French Open and Wimbledon open denied her a wildcard entry, citing her doping case as reasons for their action.

The 30-year-old returned to action in April but her U.S. Open preparations have been disrupted by an arm injury suffered during her first round win over Jennifer Brady earlier this month.

Sharapova, who was currently ranked world number 148 was forced to withdraw from the Rogers Cup and the ongoing Cincinnati Open as a precautionary measure ahead of the final grand slam of the year.

The U.S. Open runs between August 28 and September 10, at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center at Flushing Meadows, New York.

Federer withdraws from Cincinnati, Nadal to become number one

By Newsdesk

The Swiss 19-time Grand Slam winner, Roger Federer, has pulled out of Cincinnati Open with a back injury, which means Rafa Nadal would be the new world number one in next week’s rankings.

Federer, who has won the Ohio warm-up tournament for the U.S. Open on seven occasions, said he had picked up the injury in Montreal, where he lost to Germany’s Alexander Zverev in the final.

“I am very sorry to pull out of the Western and Southern Open as I always enjoy playing here.

“Cincinnati has some of the best fans in the world and I am sorry I will miss them. Unfortunately, I tweaked my back in Montreal and I need to rest this week.” Federer said in a statement issued by the tournament.

Federer’s withdrawal assures that Nadal would be top of the rankings when they are issued on August 21.

The Spaniard would take the top spot in the rankings from Andy Murray, for the first time since July 6, 2014.

Japanese tennis player, Nishikori, pulls out of Cincinnati Masters

By Newsdesk

Japanese tennis player, Kei Nishikori, has pull out of of Cincinnati Masters to become latest top 10 player withdrew from the U.S. Open warmup event due to pain from a long-standing right wrist injury.

The 27-year-old, who had been seeded fifth and given a first-round bye, had flown to the host city before making the call to withdraw.

The world number nine disclosed on his official websites that; “Unfortunately I will not be able to play in Cincy.

“During practice on Sunday I felt a sharp pain in my right wrist and we are now visiting with the medical specialists to discuss the diagnosis. We will provide more details after we have more information.”

Nishikori joins world number one, Andy Murray, last year’s champion, Marin Cilic, U.S. Open winner Stan Wawrinka and 12-times major champ, Novak Djokovic, on the list of players skipping the event through injury.

Both Wawrinka (knee) and Djokovic (elbow) have opted to end their seasons early to recover from their ailments, while Murray (hip) faces the prospect of losing his top ranking should either Rafa Nadal or Roger Federer win the Cincinnati event.

The U.S. Open is the final grand slam of the year and runs from August 28-September 10 in New York.

Russia’s Makarova stuns Konta, Williams Muguruza, Kerber, qualify into Rogers Cup third round

By Newsdesk

British tennis number one, Johanna Konta, let a commanding lead slip as she lost to Russia’s Ekaterina Makarova 5-7 7-6 (7-4) 6-3 at the Rogers Cup in Toronto.

Konta, who had a first-round bye as the seventh seed, was playing her first match since losing to Venus Williams in the Wimbledon semi-finals.

The Briton led 7-5 5-2 but failed to convert two match points in the second set against Makarova who would face Lucie Safarova in round three.

Makarova, 29, is ranked 42nd but extended her winning streak to seven matches after claiming the Washington title last week.

She was always likely to prove a testing opponent for Konta on her return after four weeks away, but the British number one worked her way into a commanding position.

However, two points to clinch the match slipped by as she was pegged back into a tie-break in the second set.

Makarova took it after a Konta forehand error gave her the crucial break, and the Russian got the decisive break at 4-3 in the decider.

Meanwhile, Wimbledon champion and Spanish fourth seed, Garbine Muguruza, beat Belgian Kirsten Flipkens 7-5 6-2, while 18-year-old American CiCi Bellis beat Russian eighth seed, Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-4 7-5.

American ninth seed, Venus Williams, saw off Czech Katerina Siniakova 7-5 7-5, while Romania’s world number two Simona Halep beat Slovakian surprise Wimbledon semi-finalist Magdalena Rybarikova 6-3 6-4.

Former world number one, German Angelique Kerber defeated Croatian Donna Vekic 6-4 7-6 (7-5) but Czech 2012 winner Petra Kvitova was knocked out by American Sloane Stephens, losing 7-6 (7-4) 3-6 6-2.

 

Federer, Nadal ease into Rogers Cup second round

By Newsdesk

Wimbledon Open champion, Roger Federer, defeated Canadian Peter Polansky 6-2 6-1 in less than an hour at the Rogers Cup in Montreal.

Just 24-hours after celebrating his 36th birthday, Federer played the aggressive game that has propelled him to five titles, including two grand slams, in 2017.

Polansky never looked comfortable after he double faulted twice in his first service game and had difficulty handling Federer’s pinpoint serves.

Federer, who has lost only two of 34 matches this year, would next play Spain’s David Ferrer who prevailed in a three-setter against American Jack Sock 7-6(7) 3-6 6-1.

Rafa Nadal also enjoyed an easy rout of Croatia’s Borna Coric as he raced through the first set in just 29 minutes and did not face a break point until the 13th game.

“At the beginning of the match there were great points. I think I started playing so well in the first set and in general, I played a great match.

“Last time that I played against him I lost, last year in Cincinnati. It was not an easy round for me.” Nadal told reporters of the 6-1 6-2 win.

Nadal would next face the 18-year-old Shapovalov who pumped his fists and rose his arms in triumph after dispatching the 2009 U.S. Open champion, who struggled with the accuracy of his serve during big moments in the match.

Gael Monfils produced the comeback of the day to beat Kei Nishikori in three sets after he fend off four match points to beat Japanese world number nine in a three-set thriller 6-7(4) 7-5 7-6(6).

The 27-year-old Nishikori had two chances to serve out the match and led 6-2 in the decisive tiebreak, before Monfils won six successive points to complete a superb fightback.

He would face Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut in the third round.

 

Russia tennis player, Sharapova, withdraws from Stanford tournament over injury

By Newsdesk

Russia tennis player, Maria Sharapova, withdrawn from Stanford Classic ahead of her second round match yesterday due to soreness in her left arm.

The former world number one Sharapova, who was competing as a wildcard in her fourth tournament back after a 15-month doping ban, said she started to feel pain in her forearm late during her first-round win over American Jennifer Brady on Monday.

“After yesterday’s scan, the doctor has recommended I don’t risk further injury. Monday night’s crowd was so special and I wish I could continue playing but I have to make a preventative decision.” Sharapova said in a statement on the tournament’s website.

Sharapova, playing her first match in the United States since 2015, was made to work against world number 80 Brady, needing two hours to secure the 6-1 4-6 6-0 win.

Her early exit means Ukrainian seventh seed, Lesia Tsurenko advances to the third round by walkover.

It marks the second time in three months that the five-times grand slam champion’s comeback has been interrupted by injury as she also retired from her second round match at the Italian Open in mid-May after injuring her left thigh.

Sharapova, banned after testing positive for heart drug meldonium at the 2016 Australian Open, has had mixed results since re-joining the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Tour.

The 30-year-old Russian reached the semi-finals as a wildcard in Stuttgart but fell in the second round at Madrid to Canada’s Eugenie Bouchard who days earlier had labeled the Russian a cheater.