• follow us in feedly

Osun United’s coach takes Enyimba to court over unpaid N3.4M sign-on-fee.

By NewsDesk,

The Osun United Coach, Samson Unuanel, has taken  his former club, Enyimba International FC, to an Abuja National Industrial Court over its failure to pay N3.450 million, being balance of his sign-on-fee.

Unuanel wants court’s to award him N100 million for general damages, aside N10 million expected to be spent on suit.

However, before presiding judge of the court, Justice Kiyersohot Damulak, the claimant’s lawyer, Ayodele Justice, told the room that the the former club of his client had been served with processes.

Confirming recipient processes, the defence counsel, Chidike Iheukwumere, that his ofice had responded on behalf of Enyimba International FC and had in turn served the claimant’s counsel with memorandum of appearance and statement of defence.

Meanwhile, the judge said that the defendant in the statement raised an issue bordering on lack of jurisdiction of the court.

Damulak however objected to a point also raised by the defence demanding the transfer of the case to Owerri Division of the Industrial court.

The judge informed the court that he lacked the power to transfer a case assigned to him by the president of the court to another division.

He further said that he would address the issue of whether or not the court lacked jurisdiction to entertain the case at the right time.

He also adjourned the matter until June 6 for hearing.

The claimant, Unuanel, had established that he was employed as chief coach by the defendant for a season contract panning through 2009/2010 football season.

He further averred that he was placed on sign-on-fee of N5.5 million and at the expiration of the contract in 2011, he was only paid the sum of N1.750 million and later an additional installment of N300,000, totaling N2.050 million.

The coach said he approached the court to seek redress when the defendant failed to pay the remaining balance of N3.450 million.

 

EFCC arrests four over attempted fraudulent $200,000 bank wire

By NewsDesk,

Four Abuja based internet fraud stars, Ajiero Onyeka, Clement Peter, Mustapha Zubiri and Agbo Austine Taylor, have been arrested by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) who intercepted the the men while attempting to carry out a fraudulent bank wire transfer of $200,000.

The suspects, Onyeka, Peter, Zubiri and  Taylor, as identified, were said to have been arrested by a team of EFCC operatives in Abuja, who learnt of the fraudsters’ moves to transfer the money from account of an unsuspecting foreigner into a domiciliary account in Nigeria.

The commission, through a statement on its social media platforms, disclosed that the office got tip of the suspects sourcing for domiciliary account that could received the money.

According to the EFCC, Bank Wire Transfer fraudsters have a practice of using other people’s domiciliary account to receive fraudulent money with the promise of giving the account holder a commission from the money.

“In some other instances, some of the account holders will be kept totally in the dark as to the source of the fund. When the transaction is completed, the account holder will become the hunted criminal, while the main perpetrator will disappear without traces”.

“The public is hereby warned to be vigilant and not to give out their account numbers for the purpose of receiving money on behalf of anyone”.

It said that the suspects would be charged to court as soon as investigation is concluded.

Prosecutors frustrate Gbagbo’s return to Cote d’Ivoire

(Reuters) Prosecutors at the International Criminal Court on Wednesday asked judges to bar former Ivory Coast President, Laurent Gbagbo, from returning to his homeland, a day after he was acquitted on all charges.

In a filing ahead of a hearing on Wednesday in which judges are expected to discuss the terms of his release, prosecutors said if they appeal the acquittal, Ivory Coast might not ensure or be able to compel Gbagbo’s return to the Hague.

After Gbagbo’s arrest and extradition in 2011, Ivory Coast’s government has not cooperated with the court in other matters, prosecutors said in a statement.

Female Soldiers Assault Motorist in Lagos

Two female soldiers assaulted a man on Tuesday at Shipeolu Street, Shomolu, Lagos.

The incident happened in traffic this morning, an eyewitness said that the soldiers came down from a BMW car and started beating up the man.

Click to watch video of him being beaten.

The man Mr Onilude Ayangbemiga said they tried to overtake him but he did not stop because their plate number was covered and he feared they were robbers. They overtook him the second time and started beating him when he came down.

“They were claiming to be a soldier, but at the end of the day I was beaten to the extent that I have this wound on me”. – Mr Ayangbemiga.

Efforts to talk to the soldiers were proved abortive as our correspondent was slightly attacked by the soldiers.

We will not retreat until Melaye surrenders – Police

The Nigerian Police Force said its men sent to arrest Senator Dino Melaye in his residence in Abuja will not retreat until the senator surrenders himself for arrest and investigation.

According to police spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, the officers have a duly obtained Warrant of Arrest to pick the senator, representing Kogi West.

“Senator Dino Melaye is wanted by the Police for a case of Criminal Conspiracy and Attempted Culpable Homicide, committed on 19th July, 2018, when Senator Dino Melaye and his armed thugs attacked Police personnel; shot and wounded Sgt. Danjuma Saliu, attached to 37 Police Mobile Force (PMF) on stop and search duty along Aiyetoro Gbede, Mopa Road in Kogi State”, Moshood said.

Security Guard Remanded For Stealing Judge’s Phone

An Ilorin Chief Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, ordered that two men, Samson John and Ayodele Oluwagbemiga, be remanded in Federal Prison yard for allegedly stealing of a cellphone belonging to a High Court Judge.

Chief Magistrate Ibijoke Olawoyin, gave the order, after the accused persons were charged with four counts of criminal conspiracy, trespass, house breaking, and theft.

Olawoyin adjourned the case until Dec. 20, for further mention.

Earlier, the Prosecutor, Insp Alhassan Jibrin told the court that on Nov. 22, one Sgt. Usman Olayinka attached to High Court Judge in Basin area, Ilorin, reported the case at the Area Command office of the police in Ilorin.

Jibrin said that the complainant, alleged that the accused who is a security guard in the judge’s house, and one other, broke into the judge’s house and stole one Samsung Galaxy phone, valued at N300,000, some jewelries valued yet unknown and the sum of N10,000.

The prosecutor said that the police followed the accused to his home town in Otupa, Benue and arrested him for interrogation.

Jibrin said that during police investigation, the accused  confessed in his statement that he used the security room toilet key to open the main door and gained entrance into the judge’s room, and stole the items.

He said that the accused also confessed to have sold the Samsung Galaxy phone for N10,000 to one Micheal at Asoka village, Benue, who is now at-large, and sold the jewelries at the rate of N7,000 to the second accused person at Fakeye street, Basin, Ilorin.

The prosecutor said that the offence contravened the provisions of sections 97, 348, 288 and 317 of the penal code law.

The accused persons pleaded not guilty to the offence.

Police arrests Governor over bribery allegation

By Newsdesk

The governor of Rio de Janeiro, Luiz Fernando Pezao, was arrested on Thursday over allegations he received bribes as part of the sprawling “Car Wash” graft probe, according to Brazilian media.

The Globo News television channel showed live footage of federal police at the residence of the governor, who remains in his home in custody.

Pezao is accused of taking bribes when he was vice governor under Sergio Cabral, who is currently in prison.

The police also raided the Guanabara Palace, headquarters of Rio de Janeiro’s government, searching for documents.

The Superior Court of Justice issued the arrest warrant based on the confession of Carlos Miranda, a former Cabral associate, who cooperated in exchange for a sentence reduction.

According to Miranda’s testimony Pezao would have received a monthly payment of 150,000 reais ($40,000) as well as end-of-the-year bonuses of up to one million reais.

The money would have been paid by companies and intermediaries bound by contracts with the Rio de Janeiro government during a period from 2007 to 2014.

The state of Rio de Janeiro is on the verge of bankruptcy and plagued by insecurity.

Wilson Witzel was elected in October to govern the state and is set to take office January 1.

 

NAN

Man impersonating as soldier cool-off in prison

By Newsdesk

An Ilorin Magistrates’ Court in Kwara on Thursday ordered the remand of one Alade Dayo in Oke-kura prisons for alleged impersonation as a soldier.

The Magistrate, Mrs E. K Abu gave the order as the accused is facing a four count charge of impersonation, criminal trespass, assault and intimidation.

Abu adjourned the case until Dec. 5, for further mention.

Earlier, the Prosecutor, Sgt. Abideen Oderinde told the court that the case was transferred from ‘B’ Divisional Police Headquarters, Surulere in Ilorin, to the Criminal Intelligence and Investigation Department, Ilorin for investigation.

Oderinde said that the complainant, Peace Simon of Victory Hotel, Agbo-oba Area, Ilorin alleged that the accused went to Victory Hotel and introduced himself as an army officer and also took away a bottle of beer that she kept on the table.

He said that the accused beat up the complainant, when she challenged him for stealing her bottle of beer.

The prosecutor said that during police interrogation, the accused confessed to the crime and also confessed that he had military uniform and other military kits in his possession.

He said that other items recovered from the accused were military belt, T-shirts and military identification card bearing his name and passport.

The prosecutor said that investigation conducted at the CIID revealed that the accused was not a member of the Nigeria Army, but a notorious criminal who specialized in impersonating government agencies to terrorize innocent Nigerians.

He said that the offence contravened Sections 324, 384, 266 and 399 of the penal code law.

The accused person pleaded not guilty to the offence when it was mentioned to him

Two Witnesses That Testified Against Nyako Dies Mysteriously

Two vital prosecution witnesses who gave evidence in the trial of former Adamawa Governor Murtala Nyako have died mysteriously.

Adekunle Odofin, a detective with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, made the startling revelation before Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court in Abuja today.

According to the detective, the two witnesses made “crucial statements” during the investigation into a N29billion fraud case.

Odofin told the court that the two persons were very vital to the prosecution of the case.

Nyako is being prosecuted by the Commission, alongside his son, Senator Abdul-Aziz Nyako, Abubakar Aliyu and Zulkifikk Abba, on a 37-count charge of criminal conspiracy, stealing, abuse of office and money laundering to the tune of N29billion.

Five companies that allegedly served as conduit pipes for the illegal diversion of the funds – Blue Opal Limited, Sebore Farms & Extension Limited, Pagoda Fortunes Limited, Tower Assets Management Limited and Crust Energy Limited, were equally charged before the court as the 5th to 9th defendants.

Testifying as the twentieth prosecution witness, Odofin, who started his testimony on June 23, 2018 and tendered documents which were admitted in evidence, told the court on November 26, 2018, that one Mohammad Maj Iro, who was the General Manager, Zenith Bank Plc, the Regional Manager in charge of North-East, and the Account Officer of Adamawa State 200 accounts, domiciled in Zenith bank, died after making “crucial statements”, at the time of filing the case in the court.

While being led in evidence by the prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, on November 27, 2018, the detective told the court that the Commission also extended invitation to one Dalhatu Abdulmalik, who was the cousin to Nyako.

The commission invited the Director of Ameak Investment Limited, Kirkelly Investment Limited and Pilkola Engineering Limited, who also died after giving his statement.

Odofin said Mohammad Maj Iro pulled out over N800million from the Adamawa State account, and credited it to Crust Energy Limited, the 9th defendant in the case, taking orders from Nyako.

Odofin explained that the pattern of two accounts belonging to the State (Special Service Department, SSD, and Secretary to the State Government, SSG) drew the attention of the EFCC.

According to him, “the behaviour of these accounts, showed how money was being withdrawn in multiples of Ten Million Naira on different dates, running into billions of naira, by late Mohammad Maj Iro”.

“The question is, why did Maj Iro withdraw money from Adamawa State account, without being a staff of the state government?

Investigations revealed that memos were originated from permanent secretaries of the SSD, Mohammed Ibrahim Jidado and that of the SSG, Emmanuel Ibrahim.

“Having generated these memos, same were forwarded to SSG for transmission to the number one citizen of the State, the governor. Upon the approval of these memos, same came back to the SSG”.

He explained that vouchers were raised after the approval of the memos, in the name of the Permanent Secretary, the Accountant and cashier as the same and now taken to Maj Iro.

“Having received these cheques, Maj Iro, being a seasoned banker, pulled out these monies from the two accounts ( SSD and SSG) and he starts crediting various individuals and corporate accounts, most especially, without the knowledge of the account owners”, the witness added.

“Maj Iro credited Zenith Bank accounts of the 5th to the 9th defendants (Blue Opal Limited, Sebore Farms & Extension Limited, Pagoda Fortunes Limited, Tower Assets Management Limited and Crust Energy Limited), out of the money he pulled out from Adamawa State accoun. Part of the money Maj Iro transferred to Tower Asset Management Limited, the sum of N678,000,000 (Six Hundred And Seventy Eight Million Naira) was transferred to Crust Energy on different dates.

“Maj Iro also transferred N160, 000,000 out of the money he pulled out from Adamawa State account to a company called Maxion Option Limited. Maxion Option Limited transferred same to Crust Energy Limited zenith bank account”.

The witness further told the court how Maj Iro disbursed millions of naira to the companies used to launder state funds.

“Maj Iro also transferred sums of money on different dates to Sabore Farms Limited. Out of the money transferred to the company by Maj Iro, the sum of N20million was transferred to Mainstream Energy Limited. Another N20million was transferred from same Sabore Farms to one Sanni Hello of Mainstream Energy Limited. Another N10million was transferred to Crust Energy Limited”, Odofin said.

Statements made by Maj Iro at the Commission, were tendered and admitted in evidence by the court.

According to the court, “Statements made by Maj Iro on June 21, 2014; June 24, 2014; July 2, 2014; July 10, 2014; July 15, 2014; July 22, 2014; July 23, 2014; August 29, 2014 and October 22, 2014 admitted in evidence as LL40-1 to Ll40-9, respectively”. Also, statements made by Dalhatu Abdulmalik were tendered and admitted in evidence.

The matter was thereafter adjourned to November 29, 2018 for continuation of trial.

EFCC Denies Receiving N10million Donation From Ganduje

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday rejected the N10 million donation by Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State for hosting of the National Anti-Corruption Marathon.

Ganduje had reportedly donated the money to EFCC, Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and other anti-graft agencies for the event.

The governor’s director of media and publicity, Aminu Yasser, stated that Ganduje made the donation in Abuja when he received members of the marathon’s organising committee.

The governor, who allegedly received $5 million bribe recently, explained that his administration placed high premium on the fight against corruption.

Ganduje revealed that investment in the state’s anti-corruption agency led to prosecution and removal of prominent individuals, including former commissioner, permanent secretaries in the state civil service.

The leader of the anti-corruption marathon race delegation, Jacob Onu, told the governor the event was organised by the anti-graft agencies to create awareness and bring together all segments of the Nigerian population in support of federal government’s war against corruption.

 

The anti-corruption body in a post on its verified Twitter handle,@officialEFCC, said that it has not received any amount of money from individual or group to carry out the project.

“#Alert For the avoidance of doubt, no State governor or some other individual or group has donated any amount of money to the EFCC to carry out the Anti-corruption Marathon project or any other project for that matter,” it posted on twitter.