Atiku expresses grief over lost lives after bomb blast in Maiduguri

follow url By Balogun Alabi,

The Former Vice President and chieftain of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has expressed grief over death of victims involved in suicide bomb attack carried out by four female suspected suicide bombers which occurred in Maiduguri, Borno State.

Atiku described the consecutive bomb blast in the state as disturbing, as well as, commented that increasing cases of girls being used as suicide bombers was alarming.

He added that the teenage girls who were used as suicide bomber were meant to mothers, teachers and scientists of the future, and not been used to carry out extremist ideologies.

The former Vice President noted that the Boko Haram group was still threat to the lives and property of Nigerians, especially those in the North-East region of the country.

In a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja on Thursday, Atiku urged Nigerians to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities to security agencies nearest to them.

He encouraged members of public to be determined and ensure that the issue of insurgency was eradicated by supporting security agencies.

“We are all in this together. We must work closely with security operatives on ground to make sure that our land is secure and our lives are safe.

“I pray to God for a peaceful repose of the dead and fortitude to their bereaved families and friends,” he said.

In a related development, the former Vice President condemned killing of two policemen and abduction of two foreigners along the Abuja-Kaduna Expressway on Tuesday.

Atiku noted that the kidnap was a criminal act, and that it was equally act of sabotage against the national economy.

“Kidnapping drives away foreign investors. It drives away corporate and individual donors from engaging in humanitarian missions and the gross effect of it leaves a debilitating effect on the health of the national economy,” he said.

Drone saves two teenagers from drowning in Australian sea

By Balogun Alabi,

One of the drones which were unveiled recently at an Australian beach as part of trial for use by life guards has successfully rescued two teenagers who had been swept out to sea.

The 17-year-old and 15-year-old boys whose name were undisclosed, were seen in distress after becoming caught in the sea of about ten-feet, half-a-mile offshore at Lennox Head, north of Sydney.

However, the lifesaving drone was said to have rescued the teenagers after it spotted them and dropped a flotation device in what was believed to be a world-first use of the technology, after which the boys hung to the device and swam to shore.

Speaking on the incidence on Thursday, the New South Wales, surf lifesaving official, Kelvin Morton, noted that there was no other lifesaving operation or organisation worldwide that was effectively performing as the company.

Morton added that the drones used to deploy inflatable pods was innovative, and claimed that most lifesaving organisations around the world were stepping back and waiting to see how the new drones works.

He explained that it would take about six minutes for life guards to reach the victims, compared with 70 seconds the drone spent to locate them.

A lifeguard supervisor who piloted the drone, Jai Sheridan, affirmed that the drone was an amazingly efficient piece of lifesaving equipment and a delight to fly.

“I was able to launch it, fly it to the location, and drop the pod all in about one to two minutes. A trial of the drones is due to end in April.

“It [the drone] gives them [life guards] eyes across the water at a height of 60 metres [200 feet] and they can move at 50 kilometers [31 miles] an hour,” he said.

The pilot stressed that the drones could see things in the water which a jet-ski could not, as the drones had already led to several beaches being evacuated this summer.

Unknown gunmen abducts teenager, robs motorists in Katsina

follow link By Balogun Alabi,

Unknown gunmen have reportedly abducted a 14-year-old girl, as well as, robbed motorist sat gunpoint in Kankia Local Government Area of Katsina State, although no life was lost.

It was gathered that the suspects who were about three in number, gained entry into the girl’s residence where they met her father.

According to father of the victim, Salisu Mai-Tiles, narrated that after the three gunmen invaded his residence situated at Sabuwar-Abuja quarters in the area at about 1:30 a.m on Thursday, they demanded for money.

Confirming the incidence in the state, the father added that he conformed to every order given to him by the gunmen, in order to secure his life and that of his daughter.

“They asked me to give them money, which I did; whatever they asked we never objected to their demand to save our lives, but unfortunately, they went with my 14-year-old daughter,” he said.

Asides abducting the girl, the gang members was also said to have blocked Katsina-Kano road in the area and robbed motorists at gunpoint.

However, efforts to reach the state police command concerning the matter proved futile

Man seeks divorce over wife’s alleged drunkenness, adulterous behavior

By Balogun Alabi,

A commercial driver, Lamidi Adebayo, has told a Customary Court sitting in Ado-Ekiti capital of Ekiti State, to dissolve his 28-year-old marriage with his wife, Bose, over allegations that his wife was a drunkard, as well as, committed adultery.

The husband, a resident of number 89, Isato Street, Ado-Ekiti, told court that neighbors had inform him severally that his wife, Bose, and her friend were philandering about, even though he never believed the information.

Adebayo noted disclosed that the nature of his job as a driver made it difficult for him to always be at home, but he was shocked on November 7, 2017, when his child hood friend, Lateef, a herbalist, confessed to the husband that he had been having secret affairs with his wife, Bose.

The petitioner stressed that his wife had told the herbalist that he died long ago, even though he was still alive, hale and hearty.

During court hearing on Thursday in the state, the husband also alleged that his wife was a drunkard, and that she drank assorted wines and palm wine to stupor every morning.

The estranged husband explained that he had try all within his capacity to stop his wife’s adulterous act and drunkenness but she never yielded.

Adebayo, who indicated that his marriage had no marital rite, but they already had four children, urged court president, Olayinka Akomolede, to dissolve the marriage due to her behaviour and dishonesty.

However, the plea of the wife was not immediately taken, while ‎President of the Court, ajourned the case until February 15, for further hearing.

India affirms advancement, test-fires intercontinental ballistic missile

blank By Balogun Alabi,

The Indian Defense Ministry said that it has successfully test-fired its Agni-V long-range intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), adding that the nuclear weapon was its most advanced missile.

It was learnt that the ICBM was fired on Thursday morning off the coast of the eastern state of Odisha, which was said to be a major boost to the country’s defense capabilities

According to the ministry, the country currently has no fewer than 120 to 130 nuclear warheads in its arsenal, which indicates its advancement.

India disclosed that the missile had been tested for more than five times since 2012, and that the launch drew the ire of India’s two most important geostrategic adversaries: Pakistan and China.

While commenting on the development on Thursday, the ministry explained that relations between Beijing and New Delhi deteriorated significantly in 2017, after a border dispute in the Himalayan region of Doklam occurred between both countries.

Also, the launch was said to have came during one of India’s flagship geopolitical conferences, themed, the Raisina Dialogue 2018.

The ministry said that the test took place during a panel titled: “Nuclear Unpredictability: Managing the Global Nuclear Framework.”

However, an associate professor of political science in the country, said that the timing of the launch was very interesting.

Task Force seizes over 120 motorcycles in Lagos

By Balogun Alabi,

The Lagos State Task Force on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit has seized over one hundred and twenty (120) motorcycles in the state over allegations that erring motorcyclists did not comply with traffic law of the state.

It was gathered that the motorcycles were seized by the taskforce around First rainbow bus stop, Cele-Ijesha, Mile two area of the state.

The agency disclosed that it carried out the operation in order to ensure that motorcyclist in the state were restricted from strategic routes, as well as, ensure they abide by the state road traffic laws of 2012.

According to the taskforce, it would not completely wipe out all motorcycles in the state, except those that neither complied nor cooperated with the law.

The seized motorcycles

Confirming the development which occurred on Thursday, the taskforce chairman, Olayinka Egbeyemi, explained that all motorcycles seized would be crushed totally, as it would serve as deterrent to erring riders within the state.

“The faith of the motorcycles seized will be totally crushed”, he added.

Egbeyemi stressed that the development was part of measures by the state government to curb increasing number of commercial motorcyclists on restricted routes within the state.

Similarly, the chairman said that the agency would not relent in arresting defiant of traffic laws, since advocacy had failed.

52 die, five injure, after gut bus in Kazakhstan

By Balogun Alabi with News agency report,

No fewer than 52 out of 57 passengers died in a bus which gutted fire in a community in Kazakhstan country, even though those who died as a result of the incident were said to be citizens of Uzbekistan.

It was learnt that the bus was travelling along a road in Kazakhstan’s north-western Aktau region that links the Russian city of Samara to Shymkent, a city in southern Kazakhstan close to Uzbek border.

Although, the direction in which the bus was going remained unclear, but, the route in which the bus plied was said to be widely used to transport Uzbek migrant workers to and from Russia where they often work on building sites.

Confirming the incident which occurred on Thursday, Kazakh interior ministry’s emergency department official who plead anonymity, disclosed that only five persons survived in the incident.

However, Uzbekistan’s foreign ministry said in a statement made available to newsmen that its embassy staffs were en route to the area, which was roughly midway between the Russian border and the Aral Sea.

It would be recalled that, another Kazakh-operated bus carrying over 50 Uzbeks was hit by a train in Russia after getting stuck on the tracks, killing 17 people on October, 2017.

Tanker drivers urges FG to fix bad roads, threatens boycott

happiness argument essay By Balogun Alabi,

The Petroleum Tanker Drivers (PTD), has threatened to boycott bad some bad roads across the country if  the Federal Government failed to  repair  important  roads before the raining season, as the warning may affect smooth supply and distribution of petroleum products to some parts of the country.

It was gathered that the association had earlier paid a visit to the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, to report the matter, especially the road leading to the Tatabu Bridge from Jebba to Mokwa area of Niger State which was terrible where trucks spend days on the road, but the government remained adamant.

The drivers urged FG to repair some of the bad roads identified, as Tanker Drivers could not do anything to assuage the suffering of Nigerians under the circumstance.

According to PTD, some bad roads were currently by-passed to Mosimi to demonstrate that the drivers was ready to work 24 hours to ensure smooth supply of products across the country.

While making the threat in a statement signed made available to journalist on Wednesday in Abuja, the Union, Head Media Relations, Abdulkadir Garba, quoted the PTD National Chairman, Salimon Oladiti, as saying that the FG should expedite action on repairing the roads, as the situation would get out of control if rain begins.

Oladiti added that the union would be left with no choice than to boycott some of the bad roads, except solution was provided to stem tide of tankers breaking down.

Also, the chairman commended the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) for supplying petroleum products through the system Two- B.

“The system now bridges fuel products to the North and other parts of the country through Ibadan- Mosimi and Ejigbo depots as well as Warri-Calabar-Aba depots, while waiting for the commencement of Ilorin-Ore depots among others,” he said.

However, the association said that it supported use of depots outside Lagos State, as it decongested gridlock in Apapa area of the state, as well as, eased problem of fuel scarcity.

“The perennial problem of fuel scarcity will soon be a thing of the past,” he added.

Suicide bomber kills self, 12 others in Borno

By Balogun Alabi,

The Borno State Police Command has confirmed a suicide bomb attack on a market Muna Garage in Maiduguri capital of the state, by a member of the dreaded Boko Haram group, in which 12 persons were killed and 48 others wounded.

It was learnt that a male suicide bomber gained entry into the area and detonated an explosive device at the market which was crowded, killing himself and other persons.

Although, the incident was said to be the first suicide bomb attack in the state since the beginning of 2018, even though the scene of the attack had recorded series of suicide bomb attacks by insurgents.

Speaking on the incident on Wednesday, the state Commissioner of Police,  Daminian Chukwu, disclosed that the incident occurred at about 4: 15 p.m. yesterday when the bomber detonated an Improvised Explosive Device (IEDs) at Alai Fadawu Market of Muna Garage area on the outskirts of Maiduguri.

Chuckwu explained that one other suicide bomber detonated his own explosive and blew himself alone into pieces out of panic that he might be apprehended.

“The 12 persons killed and the wounded persons were evacuated to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital,” he added.

However, the commissioner urged residents in the state to remain vigilant and report suspicious movement and persons in their communities to security agencies.

“People should be vigilant because Boko Haram insurgents have not surrendered,” he warned.

Meanwhile, the state government had also extended curfew in the community, which would now be observed between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m, as the curfew was to enable military complete ongoing clearance operation against insurgents.

DPR seals filling station over alleged illegal operation in Abuja

source site By Balogun Alabi,

The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), has disclosed that it has sealed a filling station in Abuja, as well as, dispensed its fuel for free to motorists as sanctions, over allegations that that the station was operating illegally and selling above the approved N145.

It was gathered that the DPR visited the station following intelligence reports from public an illegal station was selling above the approved pump price, which personnel of the department confirmed that the station sold for N210, instead ofN145.

According to the department, the unnamed filling station has no approved licence and that the marketer situated on an unapproved site, in midst of a community, which was against rules and regulations.

The agency added that it had no choice than to dispense the fuel belonging to the station for free, and that the marketer would provide reasons for being an illegal station and selling above government approved price.

While briefing journalists on Wednesday after the exercise in Abuja, the task force team, led by Abuja Zonal Controller, Abba Misau, disclosed that the owner of the station had also been arrested, as the station had no record.

Misau said that he was surpised to see one of the station’s staff disconnect electricity, while the pumping machine was on, in order to avoid the taskforce dispensing the fuel of about 14,400 liters to public for free.

We will ensure that the security around here is beefed up and cordon off the station until the exercise is completed.

”We will hand the illegal station over to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for prosecution and find out from the Abuja Development Control if they have any approval for the site, otherwise, it should be demolished,” he said.

However, owner of the fuel station, Danladi Eya, said that he bought the product from a licensed marketer which he said covered his operations, as well as, pleaded with the DPR for mercy.

Eya added that that he took facility from the bank to embark on the business when he could not get job as a graduate, adding that he needed to survive.

”I am a Nigerian; I need to survive; I am a degree holder and cannot steal so I ventured into the business,” he said.

The Zonal Controller assured that the illegal station would be handed over to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for prosecution and find out from the Abuja Development Control if the station had approval for the site, otherwise it would be demolished.

“Even if it has approval, we will advise that it be revoked for safety of lives,” he said.

According to DPR, the persisting fuel scarcity in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) was blamed on instability of products supply to Abuja and its environs, adding that the PPMC had assured that the products supply would be stable.

”We will hand the illegal station over to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for prosecution and find out from the Abuja Development Control if they have any approval for the site, otherwise, it should be demolished.