• follow us in feedly

Trump stop playing our music – Axl Rose, Rihanna

By News Desk,

Rihanna wasn’t happy. Neither was Axl Rose.

Both musicians took to Twitter this past weekend, responding to reports from people who had heard their songs at President Trump’s rallies — in Rihanna’s case, “Don’t Stop the Music,” and in Rose’s, “Sweet Child o’ Mine,” the Guns N’ Roses hit. Both songs have been slotted into the playlist the president uses to fire up the crowd before he takes the stage, along with songs by the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Journey and others.

Rose, the Guns N’ Roses frontman, said that the group had requested that the Trump campaign stop playing its songs.

Rihanna’s tweet, responding to a reporter’s amusement about hearing her song at a Trump rally, suggested that she, too, wanted the music to stop.

Her lawyer, Jordan Siev, followed up on Monday with a “cease and desist” letter to the White House. “As you are or should be aware, Ms. Fenty has not provided her consent to Mr. Trump to use her music,” Siev wrote, using Rihanna’s given name, Robyn Fenty. “Such use is therefore improper.”

So how does it happen that politicians can blast anthems to their supporters written by musicians who despise them? The answer lies in the intricate thicket of licensing and copyright law, which in the past has given political campaigns a lot of leeway to choose whatever songs they like.

But Rihanna and Rose may be in luck. In recent years, certain rules have given musicians more of a say in whether their voices can be used to fire up a sea of MAGA hats.

There is a long history of horrified musicians learning their songs were being played by politicians they did not support, and it has almost always been Republicans on the receiving end of the complaints. Sting and Tom Petty objected to former President George W. Bush’s use of their music. The group Heart asked Sarah Palin to stop playing “Barracuda” when she was running for vice president in 2008. Bruce Springsteen, an outspoken liberal, has chafed at Republicans’ use of “Born in the U.S.A.”

Just last week, Pharrell Williams sent a scathing letter to the president after the song “Happy” was played at an event on the day of the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting. But the National FFA (Future Farmers of America) Organization, the group that hosted the event, said it was their organist who played the song, without any input from the campaign.

Some lawsuits have been filed over the years, and almost invariably have been settled before any court could rule on their arguments. But often, there wasn’t much a musician could do.

Playing music at a public event requires a license, which generally comes from a few big music-rights agencies like BMI and ASCAP. Usually, the arenas where politicians appear already possess a blanket license that allows the venue to play any song in the agencies’ vast catalogs.

The agencies advise political campaigns to purchase their own blanket licenses so they can play music wherever they are, whether it’s a hotel ballroom, an airplane hangar, or the edge of a soybean field. Trump’s campaign did not respond to requests for comment, but major campaigns generally have such licenses.

In recent years, BMI and ASCAP have written exemptions into these contracts giving musicians the right to stop a politician from using their songs. Steven Tyler of Aerosmith had his music removed from Mr. Trump’s licenses with both BMI and ASCAP, according to his lawyer, Dina LaPolt.

“Before Trump was even elected president, he was using Steven’s songs,”LaPolt said. “Fans and colleagues and even loved ones were very confused because it looked like he was endorsing Trump.”

LaPolt had to send numerous letters to the Trump campaign. She argued that playing Tyler’s songs at rallies was creating a false impression that he was a Trump supporter, an argument that Rihanna’s lawyer also made.

This past August, LaPolt finally received the answer Tyler had been hoping for. Jones Day, the law firm that represents the Trump campaign, wrote a letter saying, “Without admitting any liability, and to avoid any future dispute, we send this response to confirm that the Trump campaign will not use your client’s music in connection with its activities going forward.”

On Twitter, Rose accused the Trump campaign of relying on venue licenses to defy the group’s demand to be excluded from the playlist.

“Unfortunately the Trump campaign is using loopholes in the various venues’ blanket performance licenses which were not intended for such craven political purposes, without the songwriters’ consent,” Rose said, in a tweet that ended with a poop emoji.

Music industry experts say that assuming a venue’s license will cover a politician can be problematic. BMI’s college and university license, for example, excludes events that are “promoted or sponsored by a third party.”

“There is risk involved if a campaign attempts to rely on a venue license to cover its music use for events,” a BMI spokeswoman, Liz Fischer, said in an email. “Many venues where campaign events are held do not have licenses, and venue licenses are not intended to cover campaign events in the first place.”

Of course, legalities aside, there is also a basic political concern.

“It’s easier for artists to find out that their music is being used at rallies than it was in the pre-internet days,” said Victoria Sheckler, the deputy general counsel for the Recording Industry Association of America. “And no campaign wants to have an artist saying ‘Don’t use my music, I don’t like you’ hanging over their head.”

As is often the case, though, the Trump campaign could be the exception.

Pandemonium as Davido sworn-in at Lagos NYSC camp

By News Desk,

Ace musician, David Adeleke (Davido), was among 2152 Batch “B”, Stream 2 corps members sworn-in at the Lagos State NYSC Orientation Camp, Ipaja on Thursday.

It was revealed that security personnel had a hard time controlling fellow corps members and NYSC staff rushing to take a glimpse of the popular musician.

He was later smuggled through the crowd into an office for safety.

In a brief chat with newsmen, the young entertainer expressed gladness to be able to partake in the scheme.

“I am a youth and I am delighted to serve my fatherland.

“NYSC is also a leadership development programme and since I will not remain a youth forever, I have to start preparing myself for the future,’’ he said.

He promised to take active part in all the camp activities.

Davido is a 2015 graduate of Music from Babcock University, Ilisan, Ogun State.

He was posted to Lagos for the mandatory one-year NYSC programme.

‘Murphy Brown’ revival to tackle sexual misconduct with #MurphyToo

By News Desk,

Award winning comedian “Murphy Brown” to return to television after 20 years of retirement with an episode that addresses the #MeToo movement of women breaking their silence about sexual harassment, the series’ creator said on Sunday.

The new season starring Candice Bergen as a pioneering newswoman is scheduled to premiere on Sept. 27.

Creator Diane English told reporters the fourth episode will be titled #MurphyToo. The episode was written months ago, English said, but her remarks came as CBS Corp itself is investigating sexual harassment allegations.

#MeToo sprouted on social media last year when women began sharing stories of sexual harassment and abuse amid widespread accusations against entertainers, businessmen and politicians.

A July 27 New Yorker article detailed claims by six women who accused CBS Chief Executive Leslie Moonves of sexually harassing them in incidents between 1985 and 2006.

Moonves has said he “may have made some women uncomfortable by making advances” decades ago, which he called mistakes that he regretted immensely, but that he understood “‘no’ means ‘no’’ and had never used his position to harm anyone’s career.

CBS hired two law firms to investigate the allegations and the network’s broader culture.

The “Murphy Brown” cast and producers support the investigation fully, English said at a Television Critics Association meeting, adding that “none of us have had any negative experience in that regard at CBS.”

She said #MeToo was “a powerful movement” and that they wanted to do it justice on the show.

During the original 10-year run that began in 1988, “Murphy Brown” frequently tackled topical issues. English said the new episodes uphold that tradition.

“It’s always been a political show with something to say,” she said. “I’m focusing the show really through the prism of the press. The First Amendment and the free press is under attack like I’ve never seen before.”

The season begins with Murphy coming out of retirement to reunite with journalists Corky and Frank and producer Miles on a cable TV morning show.

Back in 1992, Vice President Dan Quayle famously attacked “Murphy Brown” when the character gave birth to a baby outside of marriage. Murphy’s son, Avery, now works as a liberal voice on a rival conservative channel called the Wolf network, cast members said.

“Murphy is a fierce mom, and she is a competitive mom,” Bergen said. “Avery has his work cut out for him.”

Beyonce, husband drop joint album, nine-track collaboration

By NewsDesk,

America popular couple artists, Beyoncé and her rapper husband, Jay Z, have dropped joint album on streaming service Tidal, a nine-track collaboration

On the released, the singer, 36, announced Everything is Love, a nine-track collaboration with the rapper, by posting a clip from a video for one of the album’s tracks on social media.

As gathered, the announcement came as the couple played their second night at the London Stadium as part of their OTR II tour.

The record, which is only available on subscription streaming service Tidal, features nine tracks Summer, Apes**t, Boss, Nice, 713, Friends, Heard About Us, Black Effect and Lovehappy.

A collaborative effort from the pair had been mooted for several years, while Beyoncé herself confirmed she had been working on a record last year.

In an interview with the New York Times, Jay Z, real name Shawn Carter, said they had been working on music together during the making of his release 4:44 and her hit album Lemonade.

“We were using our art almost like a therapy session. And we started making music together,” he said.

“The music she was making at that time was further along. So her album came out as opposed to the joint album that we were working on. We still have a lot of that music.”

The accompanying artwork for the new album could be seen on the Tidal website and in a tweet announcing the album’s release on Beyonce’s official Twitter page.

It depicts a woman standing over a man while she combs his hair. Leonardo Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa painting can be seen hanging in the background of the picture.

Jay-Z launched Tidal in 2015 as a subscription-based, artist-owned streaming service

Indian artist acknowledges Nigerian counterparts’ talents, potentials

By NewsDesk,

An Indian artist, Shanta Roy, has identified Nigerian counterparts as possessors of great talents and potentials such that could make them compete at global stage.

Roy, who spoke on the dedication of Nigerian stars on Monday in Abuja, expressed satisfied she was with level of inputs in her artwork by Nigerian artists.

The highly rated Indian artist with master degree in Fine Art stated that Nigerian artists were great in the art and that they have continue exhibiting potentials in them

 

She noted that how history paired Nigeria and India with similar artistic characteristics, stressing that, the two are originally into more of sculpture unlike Europeans who are more into painting.

“I like art works by Nigerian artists; though some do more of observing people, things and draw; however, they have great talents and potentials.

“They can learn a little bit of artistry or study more online and work on monumental images and not pictures alone.

“This will make them improve and become better; however, I respect their talents and potentials,’’ she said.

On her latest master piece at the Indian High Commission titled “Meeting India in Abuja’’, Roy informed that mural mosaic work requested by the commission took her about two months to complete.

“Some of the Nigerian artists that assisted me on the work which has 120 square meter area were so helpful and nice; they are fast learners with great potentials.

“The work seeks to bring a piece of India to Nigeria when we celebrated India at 70. About 500,000 pieces of tiles were used to create the image.

“It depicts India’s unity in diversity and its unique combination of cultures, religions, languages and development, which is similar to that of Nigeria,’’ Roy said.

Lagos makes state’s investment available to entertainment industry

By NewsDesk,

The Lagos State Government has make available numerous investments put in place by state Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, to film makers and producers across world to take advantage, for film shooting and other entertainment usage.

It said that state was a land of opportunities and place to be for all filmmakers and producers across the world.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture,  Fola Adeyemi, persuaded investors to take advantage of the liberal policies and programmes of this administration towards the creative arts and entertainment industry to heavily invest in this sector in view of its vision to make Lagos become the most preferred Tourism destination in Africa.

Speaking during unveiling of the magazine – ‘Cinema in Lagos’ by the State Government at the ongoing Cannes International Film Festival in Cannes, France yesterday, Adeyemi stated that the governor has a great passion for the creative arts and entertainment industry which he envisioned would become the next global money spinner across the world.

The PS said that it was gratifying to note that Lagos is blessed with natural beaches and scenery that will further improve on the film quality and production in the creative industry.

He therefore implored filmmakers to come to Lagos and shoot their films.

“We warmly invite you to Lagos to shoot your films. Lagos is inviting you to come over, we are indeed ready for you.”

In his remarks, the Chairman, House Committee in Tourism, Arts and Culture, Hon. Desmond Elliot stated that Lagos State was not just in Cannes to sell and market itself as a venue for shooting films but to tell the world that the State has a Government that is a lover of the arts and entertainment industry.

According to him, “If you have not been to Lagos, you have not tasted Africa”.

In addition, filmmaker and Board member of Lagos State Council for Arts and Culture,  Kunle Afolayan, invited filmmakers across the world to come to Lagos and do business as the State Government is committed to the growth of the film industry.

Olamide sets for Abuja Kings meet maiden edition

By NewsDesk,

Popular Nigerian singer, Olamide Adedeji , has bee said would be arriving Abuja on Thursday April, 26, 2018 for maiden edition of ‘Kings Meet’, an event organised for elite fun seekers in Abuja by the Kings of the North Group.

Detail about Olamide and that of the event was contained in a statement issued by the organisers in Abuja and made available to newsmen on Wednesday.

The statement said Olamide will feature at the event holding at a popular fun spot in the Wuse II Area of Abuja known as Moscow Underground and is supported by the distinctive Hennessy xo.

According to the organisers, ”Come Thursday night, Moscow Underground will be agog and filled with queens and kings of fun in Abuja for our maiden ‘A’ class show featuring Olamide and others.”

” The night will be overwhelming and fun-filled in a place for victors. It will be celebrated by kings and queens as it will be filled with royalty. It’s a place where royalty will meet royalty. The event is made for the great,” the statement quoted the organisers as saying.

Nigerian movie come on US’ screen

By NewsDesk,

‘Ojukokoro’, and three other flicks, Oblivious, The Encounter, and Tell Me Sweet Something, from Nollywood movie, were screened at Metrograph Theatre in New York.

‘Ojukokoro’ (greed) was hilarious feature film leading the line-up at the inaugural ‘Nollywood 3.0 Images and Stories From the African Diaspora Film Series’ in New York City.

Combining the two unlikely genres of comedy and suspense thriller, Ojukokoro tells the story of an attempted robbery that goes very wrong from three contradictory points of view.

The film’s director, 27-year-old Dare Olaitan, said he hoped Ojukokoro, as well as the Nollywood 3.0 Film Series as a whole, would help promote Nigerian cinema on an international scale.

”We can produce films that entertain both Nigerian and international audiences and this premiere is our chance to prove the case,” he said.

Nollywood 3.0″ featured a plethora of exciting films by artists and filmmakers from the diaspora and offered fresh, African-centric storytelling.

‘Tell Me Sweet Something’ is a romantic comedy feature, produced in South Africa, by Nigerian-born Akin Omotoso.
It tells of an aspiring novelist with writer’s block, Moratiwa, who runs a second hand bookstore in the hippest part of Johannesburg.
Meeting the man of her dreams takes Moratiwa on a journey of comic encounters in the charming, funny and romantic film.

Profiting from the tangible chemistry between the two lead characters, the film also shows the realities of black life in South Africa and a side of Johannesburg, which is rarely seen.

‘Oblivious’, which is directed by Ekene Mekwunye, relates a tale in which a married man finds a new lover and asks his wife for a divorce.
However, the wife says she will grant his request under one condition: he must carry her out of bed every day for a month.

‘The Encounter’, also by Mekwunye, is a story about two friends who find themselves on different sides of the Biafran war.

It is a short film that documents the last encounter between the Biafran warlord Emeka Ojukwu and Emmanuel Ifeajuna, before the latter was executed for treason during the heat of the Biafran war.