Latest, Metro

1,070 Nigerians died in road accidents within 2017 third quarter- NBS

see By Balogun Alabi

click here The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) road transport data for 2017 third quarter has reported that at least 1,070 Nigerians died in road accidents, out of which 89 were children, 815 were males, representing 76.2 per cent, while 255 were females, representing 23.8 per cent.

As learnt, the outcome of the figure was derived from the major cause of accidents which were speed violation, which it accounted for 44.51 per cent of the total accidents reported in the quarter, and also loss of control including dangerous driving followed closely as they both accounted for 10.41 per cent and 9.52 per cent of the total accident recorded respectively.

go to site The NBS while confirming the reports through its website on Tuesday, stressed that 981 of the 1,070 Nigerians that died, representing 91.7 per cent of the figure were adults while the remaining 89 Nigerians, representing 8.3 per cent of the figure were children, while a total of 6,803 Nigerians got injured in accidents.

click here According to NBS, 6,419 of the 6,803 Nigerians that got injured, represents 94.4 per cent of adults, while the remaining 384 Nigerians, represents 5.7 per cent of the figure were children.

It further stated that 5,110 male Nigerians, representing 75 per cent, got injured in road accidents in the quarter while 1,693 female Nigerians, representing 25 per cent got injured.

enter site According to the report, estimated vehicle population in Nigeria as at third quarter was put at 11,547,236 with the total population of the country puts at 193.3 million in 2016.

However, on the categories of vehicles involved, 58 per cent of vehicles were commercial (2,000), 40.6 per cent were private (1,401), 1.4 per cent were government (48) and the remaining were diplomat (0).

The analysis revealed that while Borno and Bayelsa States recorded the least of road accident, Federal Capital Territory recorded the highest number of road crashes in the quarter, closely followed by Kaduna and Kogi States.

It also stated that out of 200,565 national driver’s licenses that were produced in the period under review, Lagos and FCT produced the highest number of driver’s licenses while Zamfara and Kebbi produced the least numbers of national driver’s license.

Previous ArticleNext Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *