By NewsDesk with agency report
The German police has reported that at least 18 people were killed and 31 others injured when a tour bus burst into flames after it collided with a trailer truck in southern Germany.
It reported that the incident occurred early on Monday when a bus carrying 46 passengers and two drivers rammed into the trailer on a motorway near town of Muenchberg in Germany’s southeastern state of Bavaria.
According to the police, there were 48 tourist pensioners, mainly from the eastern state of Saxony on the bus and they were aged between 41 and 81.
“It’s clear now that all 18 of the missing people on the bus died in the accident,” police said on Twitter.
Sources said that the bus was transporting a group of tourists from Saxony state in eastern Germany to Nuremberg city in northern Bavaria.
They narrated that the crash led to closure of the A9 highway in both directions and the deployment of some 200 emergency workers to the site, including firefighters, rescue workers and police.
German officials said that emergency workers had so far retrieved 11 bodies from the bus wreck and work was underway to find another seven killed in the incident.
The German Transport Minister, Alexander Dobrindt, explained that the flames that engulfed the bus were so strong that only steel parts are still recognisable on the bus.
Television images showed only the charred skeleton of the vehicle remaining.
Expressing sympathy with the injured and bereaved relatives, German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, voiced great dismay over the crash, just as the passed her condolences to the victims and their family members.
“We hope that those who have been rescued will recover from their injuries,” Merkel said through her spokesperson.
The Monday accident at the start of the summer holiday season was one of the worst to hit Germany.
In one of the deadliest incidents, 13 people lost their lives in June 2007 when their tour bus crashed in the eastern German state of Saxony.